Symetra and its affiliated companies are committed to protecting personal information from unauthorized access and use.
Symetra's Consumer Privacy Statement describes:
- Where we get information about you
- Who we may share your information with
- The instances when medical information might be needed
- Information about Independent Insurance Agents, Brokers and Financial Advisors
- How your personal information is kept safe
- How you can update or correct the information we have about you
- Privacy and security on Symetra's web sites
- The names of the companies using this Consumer Privacy Statement
CONSUMER PRIVACY STATEMENT
Symetra does not sell or rent information about you to others.
Where We Get Information About You
The information we get about you comes from different sources and may include:
- Information that you give to us on applications or other forms such as your name, address and Social Security number.
- Information from your transactions with us, our affiliated companies or our business partners. This includes products and services you have purchased from us or information about your payment history or claims.
- Information we receive from consumer reporting agencies to confirm or add to facts given by you.
- Information we receive from your insurance agent, broker or financial advisor. This may include updated information about your policy or account.
In order to conduct our business and offer you the products and services that you may want, we may share your information as allowed or required by law.
We may share your information with our affiliates or third parties outside the Symetra family of companies to service, market or underwrite our products and services to you.
We may share your information with insurance agents, brokers and financial advisors who sell our products and services.
We may also share your information with financial institutions that we have joint marketing agreements with to sell our products and services.
Working with these businesses allows us to provide you with a broader selection of insurance and investment products and services from our companies. These businesses sign a contract with us to keep your information private and secure and to use it only for the services we request.
If any sharing of your information would require us to give you the option to opt-out of or opt-in to the information sharing, we will provide you with this option.
We obtain or share medical information only in connection with specific products and services. This may include underwriting a life insurance policy, processing a claim or any other use that we disclose to you before the information is collected.
About Independent Insurance Agents, Brokers and Financial Advisors
They may have received personal information about you that we do not have. They may use this information differently than we do. Contact your agent, broker or advisor to learn more about their privacy practices.
Keeping Your Personal Information Safe
We protect your personal information in a variety of ways.
We maintain physical, administrative and technical safeguards to protect this information from unauthorized access.
Employees receive training to protect personal information and are authorized to access this information only when they have a business need to do so. We expect the agents, brokers and advisors who sell our products and services to maintain a high regard for privacy and to safeguard customer information.
We follow your state law when it protects your privacy more than federal law.
Accuracy of Your Information
We need accurate information to provide you with the best possible service.
If you need to update your information or if the information we have about you is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact us.
Please be sure to include your name and policy number or contract number.
- By telephone. You can call us at the telephone number shown on your account statement or on other information we have sent to you. You can also call us at:
- In writing. You can write to us at the address shown on your account statement or on other information we have sent to you. You can also write to us at:
PO Box 34690, Seattle, WA 98124-1690
You can also request a copy of the information that we have about you in our files to make sure it is correct. You must make your request in writing and send it to the address shown on your policy or contract or to the address shown above. We will send you the information within 30 business days of receiving your request. We will advise you of any person or group to whom we have given the information during the last two years.
If you believe the information about you in our files is wrong, you can notify us in writing. We will review your file and respond to you within 30 business days. If we agree with you, we will change our records. This change will become part of the file. It will be sent to those that received inaccurate information from us. It will also be included in any later disclosures to others.
If we disagree with you, we will explain why. You can provide us with a statement explaining why you believe the information is wrong. This statement will become part of the file. It will be sent to those that received the disputed information from us. It will also be included in any later disclosures to others.
PRIVACY AND SYMETRA'S WEB SITES
We collect personal information (for example, name, address, e-mail address) on our web site only when you voluntarily provide it to us. Only your domain is recognized when you visit our website; your individual e-mail address is not.
Information Sharing and Use
Symetra does not sell or rent information about you to others. If you only browse our web site and do not supply any information, you will not receive unsolicited e-mail, telephone calls or other marketing materials from Symetra as a result of your visit.
When you make changes to your account or request more information about our products we may forward information you supply to us to your Symetra Independent Insurance Agent or Financial Advisor. We do this so they can service your account or contact you with additional information about our products.
Browsers & Security
We use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology. SSL protects information as it crosses the Internet. You can tell if you are visiting a secure area by looking at the padlock symbol at the bottom of your browser screen. If it is "locked," you have a secure session.
Symetra has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of your personal information. Our servers are located in the United States of America and are designed to prevent unauthorized access.
Links to Other Sites
Symetra.com contains links to other web sites. These other web sites are not under Symetra’s direct control, and they may collect information about you that Symetra does not. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of linked web sites.
This Privacy Statement applies to the following members of the Symetra family of companies:
- Symetra Life Insurance Company
- Symetra National Life Insurance Company
- First Symetra National Life Insurance Company of New York, New York, New York
- Symetra Assigned Benefits Service Company
- Symetra Securities, Inc.
- Clearscape Funding Corporation